Our Content Coach Team
ELA Content Coach
Math Content Coach
Literacy Content Coach
Science/Social Studies Content Coach
We believe that a rigorous curriculum is essential to modern learning. J.O. Combs' curriculum is intentionally aligned to the Arizona Academic Standards with clear learning outcomes, aligned assessments, and the necessary learning experiences and instructional strategies identified to achieve our desired outcomes for student learning. Curricular Unit Maps have been developed which provide the learning roadmap for our students and allow for transparency in learning for all.
District Core Curriculum Resources
- English Language Arts
- K-12 Unit Scope & Sequence
- Grades K-6 use HMH Math Expressions as their primary math resource.
- Grades 7-8 use HMH Go Math! as their primary math resource.
- Algebra I and II use HMH Algebra I and II as their primary math resource.
- Geometry uses High School Mathematics - Geometry as their primary math resource.
- 6-12 Unit Scope & Sequence
- Grades K-8 use Defined STEM as a supplemental resource for science instruction.
- Social Studies
- 6-12 Unit Scope & Sequence
- Grades 7-8 use The DBQ Project as a supplemental resource for social studies instruction.
District Intervention Curriculum Resources
- K-3 Reading
- Fundations Phonics is a phonics program that provides a systematic and explicit approach to reading and spelling. Fundations focuses on letter formation, phonological and phonemic awareness, sound mastery, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension.
- 4-12 Reading
- For our older students that require intense intervention in reading, we use Wilson Reading System supported by Reading Specialists at our comprehensive elementary schools and in special education at our secondary schools.
- 2-6 Reading
- Students in 2nd-6th grade have access to Accelerated Reader which provides students with guided reading practice in an engaging and motivating framework.
District Textbook/Supplemental Resource Adoption Review
Per J.O. Combs Unified School District Board Policy IIJ, textbooks and supplementary books for common schools recommended by textbook selection committees will be placed on display in the District office for a period of at least sixty (60) days prior to the meeting at which the Board will consider their adoption. Textbooks for high schools recommended by textbook selection committees will be place on display in the District office for a period of at least sixty (60) days prior to the meeting at which the Board will consider their adoption. Information related to high school textbooks, which are proposed for approval, shall be placed on the District website.
The following courses have recommended the identified textbooks for adoption:
AP Music Theory - On display until 11/30/20
- Clendinning, J. P., & Marvin, E. W. (2005). The musician's guide to theory and analysis. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Ottman, R. W., & Rogers, N. (2007). Music for sight singing. Upper Saddle River, N.J: Pearson Prentice-Hall.