The goal of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) and purpose of Title I is to ensure that all children have a fair, equal, and significant opportunity to obtain a high-quality education and reach, at a minimum, proficiency on challenging state academic achievement standards and state academic assessments. Title I-A provides financial assistance to districts and schools with high numbers or high percentages of children from low-income families to help ensure that all children meet challenging state academic standards.
Schoolwide Title I Schools
The Arizona Department of Education identifies schools that qualify for comprehensive schoolwide reform to ensure all students - especially those considered most academically at-risk - are able to attain academic proficiency based upon state academic standards. Those schools are:
A Parent's Right to Know Notice
Parent & Community Engagement
In Title I, active parents play a vital role. Meetings are scheduled at each school throughout the year to share information that enables parents to help their children improve reading and math skills. Parents, teachers and schools, work together to design and implement a program to meet the educational needs of each child. Our district supports parent involvement because:
- Involved parents motivate children
- Parents can support learning in the home
- Early skills acquired at home provide the foundation of learning
- Parents help increase public understanding and support for school programs
- Children develop positive attitudes about learning with involved, understanding and supportive parents
Private School Consultation Notification
Each year, as a requirement for Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), as amended by the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) local educational agencies (LEAs) are required to provide services for eligible private school students, as well as eligible public school students. In particular, Sec. 1120 of Title I, Part A, requires a participating LEA to provide eligible children attending private elementary and secondary schools, their teachers, and their families with Title I services or other benefits that are equitable to those provided to eligible public school children, their teachers, and their families.
Private schools within or serving children within the J.O. Combs Unified School District boundaries are invited to a consultation on the following federal programs administered by J.O. Combs Unified School District:
- Title I: Improving the Academic Achievement of the Disadvantaged
- Title II: Preparing, Training and Recruiting High Quality Teachers and Principals
- Title III: English Language Acquisition & Language Enhancement
- Title IVA:
- Providing students with a well-rounded education including programs such as college and career counseling, STEM, arts, civics and International Baccalaureate/Advanced Placement.
- Supporting safe and healthy students with comprehensive school mental health, drug and violence prevention, training on trauma-informed practices, and health and physical education.
- Supporting the effective use of technology that is backed by professional development, blended learning and ed tech devices.
The meeting for FY20 was scheduled for Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 9:00AM at the J.O. Combs Unified School District at 301 E. Combs Rd., San Tan Valley, AZ 85140. Please contact Marcus Berkshire at (480) 987-5300 for more information.